07 Jul 2020
From golf to F1 racing and VR worlds the simulator market is more affordable and lifelike than ever before
Golf, racing, shooting, tennis, and VR are more attainable than ever thanks to improved tech
Here are a few of the technology breakthroughs and what they mean to the sim market
- Faster graphics hardware is leading to real-time renderings that would have been impossible just a few years ago. Hardware improvements are nothing new but the rate of growth in this space is allowing for light tracing and another tech which adds the level of realism that starts to blur the line between real life and simulator.
- Improved resolution of displays. 4K displays and projectors offer far more pixel density and this means you can be closer to the screen. Closer means for the same size screen you get a more immersive experience. This is what helps suspend disbelief
- More accurate and cost-effective input devices. Take for example golf simulators. Tracking of the golf ball and/or swing was difficult for any but the most advanced systems. Today you can get accuracy, not of just ball speed and angle but also spin, fade, club angle, and followthrough. With all of this data, some professional golf pros are turning to this technology to help students diagnose swing characteristics to very precise detail. Below is the output from a $2000 flight monitor. As you can see the data is extensive.
- Projector light output Many systems reply on projectors to bring you to create a more immersive experience. High-resolution projectors are getting much brighter with new technologies. Some even use laser light engines that require little of the previous maintenance than lamp-based systems require.
- VR hardware improvements – If you don’t have a dedicated space for a simulator perhaps VR is the best option for you. Simple systems such as the Oculus quest do not even require the very high end of VR as before. With head tracking and 3 dimension space sensors, these systems can bring you convincingly to anywhere on the planet and beyond.
|E6 Golf Sim Demo Video|
Racing, flying, target, virtual theater, are a few.
Mobius Systems has been bringing technology to homes and offices throughout the SF bay area including Marin, Sonoma, and surrounding counties for 20 years. We welcome a challenge and look forward to hearing your thoughts on simulators or any other projects you might be considering.